As 2023 comes to an end, we want to express our gratitude to every UCSF community member we have worked with this year. We are in awe of your innovative approach to teaching, learning, and research. The work we do in the Makers Lab would not be possible without you. Below are some of the ways we have worked together in 2023.
- Offered the 3D Printing for Health Sciences Students electives in the winter, spring, and summer quarters with 44 UCSF dental and medical students. Read about the amazing projects to come out of the advanced elective!
- Supported the UCSF Hematology & Oncology fellowship program for the 5th year through our collaboration with Dr. Gerald Hsu. 2023 fellows practiced their skills on 3D printed and silicone task trainers in the Anatomy Learning Center to improve bone marrow biopsies and intrathecal chemotherapy administration using simulators designed and manufactured in the Makers Lab. See photos from the 2023 session on Instagram.
- 3D printed and laser cut 2,163 models for UCSF education and research, compared to 1,200 in 2022.
- Offered 64 pop-ups and events. If you missed a pop-up you can watch the recordings on UCSF MediaSpace.
Publications and presentations
- Co-authored “Use of a 3D Printed, Color-Coded Airway Model for Bronchoscopy Training and Anatomy Learning” in the Journal of 3D Printing in Medicine.
- Received funding for the “Bridging Clinical Science and Creativity among Health Professions Students and UCSF Faculty: Implementation of an Advanced 3D Printing Elective” proposal from the Academy of Medical Educators Innovations Funding Program.
- Makers Lab Designer, Scott Drapeau co-presented “A Novel Simulation Curriculum for Advanced Open Surgical Skills Development” at the Association for Surgical Education 2023 Annual Meeting in San Diego in April.
- Makers Lab Engineer, Jenny Tai presented at the Technology, Industry, People, and Economics (TIPE) virtual summit hosted by the nonprofit Women in 3D Printing (Wi3DP) in January.
- Makers Lab Manager, Dylan Romero presented “Exploring the Power of Technology for UCSF Education“ at the UCSF Education Engagement Miniseries: Transforming the Teaching and Learning in May.
- Published the “Closing the Loop on 3D Printing Part 2” news story, showcasing the collaboration with First Impressions and the UCSF Office of Sustainability on supporting solutions to reduce our environmental impact related to 3D printing.
- Published 18 news stories, including 11 Meet the Maker news stories. Read them all on the Makers Lab webpage.
- Posted 32 #TimeLapseTuedays on Instagram.
- Featured in the March 2023 UCSF Library Insights.
Artist in residence
- Opened 2022 UCSF Library Artist in Residence, Jacoub Reyes’ Sugar Works installation on the main floor of the UCSF Kalmanovitz Library at Parnassus Heights.
- Hosted 2023 UCSF Library Artist in Residence, Katina Bitsicas’ first workshop, which included a projection mapping demonstration on the exterior of the UCSF Kalmanovitz Library at Parnassus Heights. Read about the event and Katina’s residency, Glyphosate Dreams.
- Featured in the October 2023 UCSF news story “Tragic Loss, Health Merge in New Work from UCSF Artist in Residence.”
This was all possible because of YOU and the creativity you bring to UCSF. We look forward to working with you in 2024!