The UCSF Archives and Special Collections reading room is free and open to the public. Due to the unique and often fragile nature of our collections, materials are available for access under supervised use and by appointment only. We also offer remote reference and reproduction services.
Plan your research
- You can search all of our collection material using UC Library Search and the Online Archive of California.
- Browse our digital collections and major collecting areas that include thousands of images, documents, and other digital files.
Schedule a reference appointment
- To schedule an online reference appointment, you must first submit a request. You can make a request by logging in to your Archives and Special Collections Request System Account and selecting New Request.
- Each appointment must have at least one request associated with it, and all appointments must be confirmed by staff.
- We can provide you with subject area expertise, help you identify relevant materials, and provide assistance for using our Request System.
Request material to view in-person
- A request link is provided for each record and archival collection. When you click on the request link, you can request the specific item to consult with in the reading room. Your materials will be waiting for you on your selected date of arrival.
- If you have not already created a Request System Account, you will be prompted to do so when you hit the request link. Once you have an account, you will be able to log in at any time to view and manage your requests.