The Archives and Special Collections reading room is closed until further notice due to COVID-19. We are providing online reference services during this closure. Please contact us with questions and requests.
The UCSF Archives and Special Collections reading room is free and open to the public. Due to the unique and often fragile nature of our collections, materials are available for access under supervised use and by appointment only. We also offer remote reference and reproduction services.
Plan your research
- You can search all of our collection material using UC Library Search and the Online Archive of California.
- Browse our digital collections and major collecting areas that include thousands of images, documents, and other digital files.
Schedule a reference appointment
- To schedule an online reference appointment, you must first submit a request. You can make a request by logging in to your Archives and Special Collections Request System Account and selecting New Request.
- Each appointment must have at least one request associated with it, and all appointments must be confirmed by staff.
- We can provide you with subject area expertise, help you identify relevant materials, and provide assistance for using our Request System.
Request material to view in-person
The reading room is currently closed.