The UCSF Library Archives and Special Collections and Makers Lab are accepting proposals for the fourth annual UCSF Library Artist in Residence program. The UCSF Library Artist in Residence award, valued at $8,000, will be given annually to one candidate with a degree in Studio Arts or a related field and/or a history of exhibiting artistic work in professional venues. The 2023 residency will begin on July 1, 2023 and end on June 30, 2024.
See the UCSF Library Artist in Residence Program webpage for program background, artist responsibilities, and provided support.
Possible projects can include, but are not limited to: painting; photography; performance; sculpture; 3D scanning and 3D printing; programmable electronics; and digital, video, or installation art. The 2023 residency can be either in-person or remote and all are encouraged to apply regardless of location. Applicants are advised to review projects by previous artists in residence – Farah Hamade and Pantea Karimi.
Deadline for proposals is Sunday, March 26, 2023.
Interested artists should submit the following information as a single PDF file with the filename (your-last-name-UCSF-artist-2023.pdf)*
- One page project proposal that addresses:
- The conceptual approach of the project
- Aspects of the collection that are of interest
- How you would engage the public
- One-year proposed timeline
- Your CV
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of up to six past work samples that includes title, image of project, location, date completed, media, brief description of the project/conceptual information, and budget (if applicable)
*Due to file size, we ask that you submit a link to your PDF application rather than uploading it. Please confirm the permissions are set to allow the committee to download your application.
Ready to apply?
Questions? Contact Polina Ilieva.
Image credits: UCSF Archives and Special Collections, Jacoub Reyes, Pantea Karimi, Farah Hamade