The mission of the Library’s Data Science Initiative (DSI) is to build computational and data skills in the UCSF community by providing education and resources to trainees, faculty, and staff. We are passionate about teaching hands-on workshops that equip our community with the skills they need to collect, analyze, visualize, and share their data in a reproducible manner. In order to meet the growing need for fundamental data science education on campus our team is looking for a new Student Teaching Assistant to support the activities of the DSI. If you are excited by the idea of empowering others with data science skills, please consider applying!
What will you do?
The Data Science Student Teaching Assistant will work approximately 8 hours a week. Working under the guidance of our Data Services Librarian and other team members you will:
- TA and co-teach introductory R and Python programming workshops
- Assist with lesson prep and other Library Data Science teaching activities
- Offer basic 1:1 programming help to UCSF community members via our DSI help desk
What will you learn?
Through this role the Data Science Student Teaching Assistants will gain:
- An introduction to best practices in teaching and instructional design
- Experience supporting hands-on workshops and providing 1:1 training
- Mentorship from Library staff
- Exposure to a wide range of data science topics
What are we looking for in our Student Teaching Assistants?
- Experience with or enthusiasm for training others
- Interest in Data Science
- Intermediate level of comfort with either R or Python programming language
- Availability to work a flexible schedule during business hours (M-F, 9am-5pm)
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- Full-time UCSF students (unfortunately postdocs are not eligible for this role)
- Authorized to work in the United States
$33/hr, no fee remission
Please send a CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to Ariel Deardorff (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject “Data Science Student Teaching Assistant” by May 22.