The UCSF Library’s Data Science and Open Scholarship (DSOS) team teaches classes and creates educational resources on programming, scholarly communication, statistics and bioinformatics, data engineering, and data management for UCSF students, faculty, and staff. We are dedicated to building a community of data science and open scholarship learners and practitioners to enable connection, partnerships, and innovation. If you are a student who is excited by the idea of empowering others with data science and/or scholarly communication skills, please consider applying to join our team as a student teaching assistant!
What you will do
The DSOS Student Teaching Assistant will work approximately 8 hours a week. Working under the guidance of the DSOS Director and other team members, you will:
- Assist and co-teach introductory R and Python programming workshops
- Offer basic 1:1 programming help to UCSF community members via our Data Science Help Desk
- Assist with other projects including updating online course materials, editing workshop recordings, and creating subject guides and help articles
What you will learn
Through this role the DSOS Student Teaching Assistant will gain:
- An introduction to best practices in teaching and instructional design
- Experience supporting hands-on workshops and providing 1:1 training
- Mentorship from UCSF Library staff
- Exposure to a wide range of data science and scholarly communication topics
What we are looking for in a Student Teaching Assistant
- Experience with or enthusiasm for training others
- Interest in data science and/or scholarly communication
- Intermediate level of comfort with either R or Python programming language
- Availability to work a flexible schedule during business hours (Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Who can apply
Applicants must be:
- A full-time UCSF student (unfortunately postdocs are not eligible for this role)
- Authorized to work in the United States
$33 per hour, no fee remission.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to Ariel Deardorff at email@example.com, with the subject, “DSOS Student Teaching Assistant,” by October 23, 2023.