Obtain articles and books not available at UCSF. Library staff will locate materials from other UC libraries and libraries around the world.
What do I need to place a request?
- A current Library Borrower Account
- The 14-digit barcode number on the front of your UCSF ID
When will I receive my item?
- Most articles and book chapters are delivered electronically within 4 working days. When the article is available, you will receive an email with a link to download the PDF.
- Most books are received within 4-7 days at the Parnassus Campus Library. You will receive an email notice when your item has arrived.
Where do I pick up my item?
- Parnassus Campus users may pick up their item(s) at the Service Desk.
- For Mission Bay and SFGH users: items will be processed at Parnassus first, then sent to your preferred pickup location. You will receive a second email when the item is ready for pickup (usually within 2-3 business days).
- For Laurel Heights users: upon receipt of your pickup notice, please contact (415) 476-1446 to coordinate delivery of your item(s) via UCSF shuttle.
How long can I keep the materials?
- Unless given a shorter loan period by a lending institution, most books may be kept for 3 months.
- Note: all materials are subject to immediate recall by the lending library at any time.
- You may renew your item(s) one time. Use My ILL Requests to renew your item prior to the due date. Learn how.
- For renewal inquiries, call (415) 476-1446 or email Interlibrary Borrows staff.
Where do I return the materials?
- Return books and materials to any UCSF Library.
- If materials are not returned by the due date your UCSF Library privileges will be blocked (no check-outs, no renewals) and a bill for replacement will be issued.
- You are responsible for damage to or loss of materials from the time they are picked up until the time they are returned.
Is there a fee for this service?
- There are no fees for obtaining items from other UC campuses.
- Items obtained outside the UC system average $20 per article or book loan.
- Library staff will contact you for authorization to extend the search if the item is not available from a UC Library.
- You must submit an authorization with each request: include credit card number (information is confidential,
applied only to item requested, and not saved) or UC department recharge number, and maximum you are willing
to pay for each request.
- You will be billed only the fees incurred and will not be charged if the item cannot be obtained.
- For general questions about this service, call (415) 476-2337.
- For information about a particular request, after 5 working days email Interlibrary Borrows staff or call (415) 476-8272.