What You Can Do
What You Can Do
Explore Alternative Access Models
- Publish in open access (OA) journals. Take advantage of UCSF OA publication fee discounts.
- See Peter Suber's A Very Brief Introduction to Open Access for an overview of OA.
- Submit your articles to eScholarship in compatibility with the UCSF Open Access Policy. Non-faculty can submit their articles to the eScholarship Postprint Repository.
- Consider eScholarship and other open access publishing platforms for your professional organization's publications.
Use Your Influence
- Take advantage of your membership in scholarly associations to raise the issue of journal pricing. Encourage your association to practice reasonable publication pricing.
- Use your position on editorial boards to influence publishers to promote reasonable pricing and open access publication.
- Use your connection with UCSF to influence the scholarly publishing market - publishers listen.
- Only serve as an editor, reviewer, or author for journals with sustainable pricing or open access models.
- Raise these issues with your academic department.
- Help increase the prestige of open access publication by voicing your support for OA publications you know and value.
Tap in to UC Resources
- Publish open access articles with UCSF discounts.
- Take advantage of UC’s eScholarship publishing initiatives.
- Engage with the Library about scholarly communications issues.
- Support the Library's efforts to keep costs sustainable, such as the Nature negotiations.
- See what's going on across UC at Reshaping Scholarly Communication.