To borrow material from the UCSF Library, a valid UCSF Library Borrower Account and adherence to the Library's Borrowing Rules is required.
Obtain a Library Borrower Account
UCSF personnel and students
- Apply by telephone at (415) 476-2336.
- Apply at a Service Desk at Parnassus or Mission Bay.
- Your campus-wide ID barcode number may be requested.
- Apply in person, at a Service Desk at Parnassus or Mission Bay.
- Before coming in, contact the Parnassus Service Desk at (415) 476-2336 or the Mission Bay Service Desk at (415) 514-4060 to ensure you have all required identification.
Free Borrower Accounts
Free borrower accounts are available to:
- Faculty, currently enrolled students, and staff of the University of California, including retired employees and emeriti.
- Faculty and librarians from accredited institutions of higher learning in California.
- Health professionals licensed by a California state professional or vocational board, including retired individuals, who reside in the nine Bay Area counties.
- Dues paying members of UC alumni associations.
- Immediate family, over the age of 18, of faculty and staff of the University of California.
- Certificate employees of California public schools.
- Stanford University faculty, academic staff, and currently enrolled graduate students.
Fee-based Borrower Accounts
Obtain a Borrower Account by becoming a UCSF Library Associate.
- Library Associates have a special interest in libraries.
- Library Associates contribute to the UCSF Library's mission to advance science, foster excellence in teaching and learning, and promote health.
- borrow up to 5 circulating items at a time
- access to the online ProQuest Research Library including selected full-text journals (off-campus only)
- invitations to special library events
- public computer access beyond the usual 2 hour limit (inquire at Service Desk)
- U.S. residents 18 years or older with a valid California ID: $100.00/year.
- Registered degree program students of California State University or Community College Systems: $20.00/6 months, $40.00/year.
Other Fee-Based Borrower Accounts
Corporate Borrowers: Up to 3 one-year cards at $100.00 each.
Contact the Parnassus Service Desk by email or phone (415) 476-2336.