The UCSF Library seeks to provide all users with:
- A library environment free of disruptive activity
- Access to well managed and diverse library research collections
- Knowledgeable staff
Ensuring a pleasant and productive environment for study and research for all users requires that each user of the library follow the UCSF Library Conduct Policy and refrain from specific abuses and offenses. Use of the UCSF Library is a privilege, not a right. These guidelines pertain to all library facilities.
Persons who are unwilling to abide by these regulations will be asked to leave, and those refusing to do so may be subject to removal by campus police and/or arrest, and may not be allowed further access to the UCSF Libraries.
Rules of Use
- Users must not engage in any behavior that interferes with the normal use of the library, interferes with library user or staff comfort, safety, and the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the library. This includes but is not limited to:
- Making unreasonable noise or other disturbance, including disruptive use of personal communications or entertainment devices.
- Unreasonable use of the library restrooms, including laundering and bathing.
- Strong, pervasive odors, including odors caused by perfume or cologne that unreasonably interfere with library user or staff comfort, safety, use, or peaceful enjoyment of the library.
- Removing shirts, shoes or using blankets for sleeping.
- Users must not interfere with an employee’s performance of his/her duties or the activities of those studying in the Library. Such behavior includes but is not limited to verbal abuse, intimidation, sexual harassment or harassment on account of race, religion, ethnic background, gender or sexual orientation. Harassing or threatening library users or staff is not permitted.
- Library materials, equipment, or property must not be taken from the library without proper checkout or authorization. Library materials must be returned following the appropriate lending period or by request. Library materials must not be concealed in the library for the exclusive use of an individual or a group.
- Mutilating library materials by marking, underlining, removing pages, or in any way defacing library property is not allowed. This includes damage to computer systems, networks, programs or data.
- Vandalizing or defacing the library building, furniture, or equipment is not permitted. Users must also not move library furniture or equipment from where it is stationed.
- Users are required to pay the library for fee-based services and lost or damaged materials.
- Users must follow posted guidelines on the use of equipment and electronic resources, and all UC and UCSF computer use policies. See UCSF IT Standards and Policies.
- Users must observe applicable intellectual property laws, including the United States Copyright Laws.
- Covered drinks and snack foods are allowed in the library. See Food and Drink Policy for more details.
- Smoking or using smokeless tobacco in the library or directly outside the library entrance is not permitted.
- Personal property may not be left unattended and personal belongings cannot be stored on University property. Unauthorized carts or other vehicles designed to transport property are not permitted in the library, except for: (1) baby carriages actually used to transport infants, or (2) wheelchairs or other wheeled conveyances necessary for disabled access.
- Users must not enter unauthorized areas of the library, or remain in the library after closing or when requested to leave during emergency situations, drills or when not abiding by the UCSF Library Conduct Policy.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent or adult caregiver and under appropriate supervision at all times. The Library cannot assume responsibility for children left unattended. In addition:
- Children are expected to abide by all library user conduct and security policies.
- Children or adolescents, under the age of 14, must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when using public workstations.
- University Police will be called for unaccompanied children to ensure the safety of the child and to assist in locating a parent or guardian.
- Bicycles are not permitted in the library. Inline skating, skateboarding or skating is not permitted on University property. Wheeled vehicles may not be parked in unauthorized areas or near the library entrance.
- Animals, other than service animals assisting persons with disabilities, are not permitted inside library facilities or within 10 feet of any door.
- Unauthorized firearms or other deadly weapons, explosives and/or explosive devices, or other dangerous devices are not permitted in the library.