Eligibility and Borrowing Requirements
UCSF personnel and students with a current Library Borrower Account are eligible to borrow laptops. Borrowers agree to assume responsibility for borrowed laptops and agree to pay any fees incurred for damages sustained while laptop is in their possession. Borrowers must adhere to the Rules of Use below.
About the Laptops
Laptop computers are available for loan at the Parnassus Service Desk, main floor.
Each laptop comes equipped with a case, mouse, and power adapter. Laptops are wireless Internet access ready. (See UCSF Wireless Hotspots for detailed information about coverage.) Loaner Laptops run Windows XP or MacBook Pro OS X operating systems. The computers are loaded with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. The following programs are available:
- Internet Explorer and/or Safari
Printing is not available from the laptops.
Rules of Use
- Loaner Laptops are for use by UCSF personnel and students with current Library Borrower Accounts only.
- Loaner Laptops may not be taken from the Library premises.
Checkout and Renewal
- Laptops may not be reserved. If all laptops are in use, a hold may be placed for the next available laptop.
- Users are not allowed to borrow more than 1 laptop at a time.
- Checkout periods are 4 hours.
- Laptops may be renewed for an additional 4 hours if no other user is waiting.
- Bring your campus-wide ID and the date due slip to the Service Desk to request renewals.
- Renewals cease 2 hours prior to Library closing time and all laptops are due 1 hour prior to closing time.
- Late return of a laptop will result in an immediate block of borrowing privileges; fees may be assessed and loss of laptop borrowing privileges may result.
Use of Loaner Laptops
- Borrowers are responsible for the safety of the laptop while it is checked out to them. For details, see Fees for Damage for details.
- UCSF Loaner Laptops found unattended may be confiscated by Library staff.
- Notify a Library staff member immediately if a laptop is missing so they can alert the proper authorities.
- The A/C power adapter should be used at all times. Battery power is not guaranteed.
- It is highly recommended that you frequently save your files or data to an external device.
- Anything you save to a loaner laptop will be deleted upon return to the Service Desk -- no exceptions.
- Users are responsible for any violations of the Information Security Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines and all other applicable UC policies, State or Federal laws or contractual agreements.
Laptop use is a privilege that can be revoked if the service is abused.