Off-Campus Access to UCSF Library Resources
To Use vpn@UCSF
- Obtain a MyAccess account. Students: use your existing MyAccess account.
- Use a supported web browser to login at https://vpn.ucsf.edu/
Web VPN Option:
- Choose the UCSF Library link on the left side of the browser window.
- Proceed to the necessary online materials.
- You must stay within the same browser window when using this option.
Network Connect Option:
- Choose start next to Network Connect on the right side of the browser window.
- Once connected, you may use multiple browser windows and client applications as necessary.
- Pop-up blockers may interfere with this method of connection.
Note: You must use Network Connect when using the Library Toolbars, SciFinder Scholar (Chemical Abstracts), and Crossfire.
See UCSF Mobile for information on using vpn@UCSF on mobile devices.
Off-campus access to most online library resources is restricted to UCSF personnel and students only.
UCSF personnel and students include:
- Students currently enrolled at UCSF (alumni are not considered UCSF students)
- UCSF staff, faculty, residents and postdocs
- Clinical and emeritus faculty
Using a Non-UCSF Internet Service Provider without VPN
If you do not use one of the UCSF options for off-campus access, your access to resources will be very limited:
- You will have access to the Library Catalog, the Melvyl (UC systemwide) Catalog, and PubMed.
- You will have access to publicly accessible resources.
- However, online journals and the majority of databases will not be available.