Borrow UCSF Library materials with a valid Library Borrower Account. Borrowers must adhere to all borrowing rules.
- Borrower accounts are non-transferable.
- Borrowers agree to comply with all Library regulations, including keeping track of due dates and ensuring Library has their current contact information.
- UCSF affiliates may have up to 20 items on loan.
- UC affiliates may have up to 10 items on loan.
- All other borrowers may have up to 5 items on loan.
Loan Periods and Return of Materials
- Circulating books: 6 weeks
- Most Reserve materials: 2 hours*
- Popular Reading titles: 4 weeks*
- Books published before 1900: Non-circulating
* Available to UCSF affiliates only
- Journals published from 1900 and more than 5 years old: 1 week
- Journals published within the last 5 years: Non-circulating
- Journals published before 1900: Non-circulating
Return of Materials
- Borrowed items are due before closing time on the date due.
- Return items to inside bins or overnight book drops located at both Parnassus and Mission Bay.
- The Library is not responsible for items improperly returned.
Renewals and Recalls
- Renew items online (before due date)
- in person at a Service Desk at Parnassus or Mission Bay,
- or by telephone, (415) 476-2336 or (415) 514-4060.
- Renew items from 5 days before the due date through the due date.
- Maximum renewal: 5 times.
- Items which have been requested by another borrower.
- Materials are subject to recall 14 days after the original check-out date.
- Material needed for Course Reserves may be recalled immediately.
- If recalled materials are not returned promptly borrowing privileges will be suspended.
- When any borrowed item becomes overdue, borrowing privileges are automatically suspended.
- Should an item become overdue in excess of 30 days a bill for its replacement ($30.00 or more for unbound journal issues; $70.00 or more for most books; and $35.00 or more for Popular Reading items) and an additional $20.00 processing fee will be issued.
- If the item is returned before a replacement copy is ordered, the $20.00 processing fee will stand but the replacement fee will be canceled.
- Reinstatement of borrowing privileges is contingent upon return of all late materials and/or payment of fees.
- Outstanding charges may be referred to a collection agency after 30 days and registration blocks may be applied.
Contact the Parnassus Service Desk by email or phone (415) 476-2336.