UCSF Faculty to Vote on Open Access Policy
A UCSF Open Access Policy is being proposed to make faculty scholarship more widely available and accessible. The goals of the policy are to:
- Increase visibility, usage, and impact of research.
- Fuel innovation, discovery, and progress.
- Allow faculty to retain control over their publications and create derivative works.
- Provide the public with a return on its investment (i.e., results of funded research is freely accessible and not behind costly barriers).
- Support our mission of teaching and learning.
- Offer potential savings for libraries and institutions.
- Create free market forces and competition for publishers.
The Academic Senate Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication (COLASC) has worked closely with the System-Wide Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication (UCOLASC) to develop an Open Access Policy that they anticipate will eventually be adopted by all ten UC campuses.