- Search & Find
- Use the Library
- Research Support
- Course Support
In 2005, a Historic American Building Survey (HABS) report was done on a UCSF-owned building at 1545 Divisadero Street. The site of 1545 Divisadero Street, located at UCSF's Mount Zion campus site, most recently housed UCSF medical offices. The building, which has been demolished for the new Osher Center for Integrative Medicine building, was significant as the former N. Gray & Company Funeral Home headquarters. It was an early example of a San Francisco mortuary and a rare example of a Georgian Revival building in San Francisco.
Originally founded in 1850 by Nathaniel Gray, N. Gray & Company (originally known as N. Gray Undertakers) was San Francisco's oldest mortuary business when it closed in 1980. Nathaniel Gray was known in San Francisco as a leading businessman, philanthropist, and civic leader. The former headquarters of the N. Gray & Company Funeral Home stood out as a rare example of a Georgian Revivial commercial building in San Francisco. The building was a two-story wood-frame structure. The former N. Gray & Company funeral home's brick clad exterior, Classical details, Palladian windows, and fanlight transoms reflected these Georgian Revival elements. Additionally, the facades were symmetrical and flat with minor projections in the cornice line. The Corinthian capitals and colonnettes added the classical flare, which characterizes many buildings of this style and type.