Disclaimer: Since the purpose of minutes is to record a particular moment in time, some links may no longer be available.
August 29 Meeting
Present: Peggy (chair), Judy (phone), Michele, Min-Lin, Anneliese (notes)
Peggy announced the new LAUC representatives to systemwide groups. These representatives will be posted on the LAUC statewide site shortly.
Anneliese attended the LAUC transition meeting on August 6 at UCLA. This year's spring assembly will be at UCLA. Anneliese will update the LAUC-SF Members page. As of September 1, positions change.
We will try to get videoconferencing set up by the September meeting, so that Judy is more connected to the group. Movi, ReadyTalk, and Skype are possibilities
June 20 Meeting
Present: Peggy (chair), Min-Lin, David, Anneliese (notes)
Statewide election results: Nick Robinson is President Elect; and Kymberly Goodson is the new Secretary.
New Working Group – LAUC Outstanding Service Award. Charge for the group:
- Determine the various options and processes for establishing and administering a LAUC Outstanding Service Award
- Address oversight, funding, and nomination aspects for the award
Mitchell Brown sent a letter to Dan Greenstein (leaving UC) to thank him for his service to the UC libraries.
LAUC Assembly meeting minutes will be on the LAUC site shortly.
There is a LAUC account on Survey Monkey – open to all LAUC members.
R&PD – final letters to applicants going out.
Peggy/Kirk investigating possibility of video conferencing with UCSF Fresno.
May 30 Meeting
Present: Peggy (chair), Michele (notes)
LAUC Assembly report
Morning and afternoon presentations from 2012 LAUC Assembly. NGTS was a highlight and is worth watching.Peggy was the only attendee from UCSF. She has detailed notes from the Assembly.
The afternoon also included break-out discussion sessions. It was possible to participate remotely, and what follows is a summary of the main points discussed at the LAUC-LA remote group: http://laucassembly.blogspot.com/2012/05/notes-from-lauc-la-remote-breakout.html
Executive Board Meeting report
Mostly a debrief with the conclusion that although there were some small timing and tech glitches, all went well.
There was some discussion about how if the workflow changes (e.g. multi-campus cataloging done by a single area expert) then so too must the review process to recognize that work.
Mitchell is looking into space on a wiki or Dspace for sharing LAUC documents.
April 18 Meeting
Present: Peggy (chair), Michele, Judy, Polina, Min-Lin, Anneliese (notes), David
$500 has been set aside for posters
$200 was spent on the MLA Mobile webcast. LAUC-SF will ask the Library to ask in advance when it wants LAUC to pay for an event.
LAUC state-wide elections are upcoming. The Assembly is May 5.
LAUC has been asked to participate in a SOPAG Task Force on collection implications for UC online instruction.
R&PD - most funds applied for are being awarded.
There is a professional/leadership event at UCB on June 4 for librarians.
March 28 Meeting
Present: Peggy (chair, notes), Michele, Judy, Polina
Polina Ilieva (UCSF Archivist) was introduced as our newest LAUC member.
Peggy went over minutes from the most recent (March 1, 2012) LAUC Executive Board Conference Call.
The LAUC Assembly will be at the UC Santa Cruz Extension Center in Santa Clara on Thursday, May 10.
January 25 Meeting
Present: Peggy (chair), Min-Lin, Michele, Anneliese (notes), David
Peggy reported on the statewide Executive Board conference calls.
- Review packets cannot include participation in union activities as service to the university or the profession.
- At the Fiat Flux meeting at UCB in October,Law Dean Christopher Edley spoke about UC's online university. Michael Yonezawa (LAUC president) wrote a letter to Edley about involving LAUC in the planning for the online university, to ensure that UC considers bibliographic instruction.
- The LAUC statewide general meeting will be held congruously with the assembly on May 10 in Santa Clara (UCSC Extension). Topics to be covered include LAUC and the future of librarianship, Next Generation Technical Services (NGTS), Committee on Professional Governance and SLASIAC activities, and the UCOP budget report. The meeting will be telecast - more info to follow.
- Committee on Professional Governance (CPG) is collecting results of campus NGTS talks. UCSF discussed NGTS at the Liaisons meeting.
- The Committee on Diversity has a report due by the end of the year based on a survey.
- Research & Professional Development - the presentation award applications were popular this year. January 13 was the deadline.
- Yonezawa and Phoebe Ayers proposed creating a memorial website to honor UC librarians who have passed away.
- An award was proposed to honor extraordinary service to LAUC. Yonezawa sent a request to UCOP.
September 21, 2011
Attending: Peggy Tahir (Chair), Michele Mizejewski, Josephine Tan, David Owen, Anneliese Taylor (notes)
- Amy Andres is no longer working at UCSF Fresno Library. Her position will not be filled.
- Peggy reported on the LAUC Executive Board conference call from September 1. The minutes will ultimately be placed here.
- LAUC statewide elections will be completed June 1, 2012. Voting might be done by electronic ballot; President Brown is investigating.
- The Spring Assembly date & exact location has not yet been set - it will be at or near UCSC.
- LAUC-Berkeley's "fiat flux" 2011 annual conference will be held on October 21
Action Item: David will find out from Nanette about LAUC-SF R&PD funding
August 16, 2011
Attending: Peggy Tahir (Chairing for Michele), Josephine Tan, Min-Lin Fang, Anneliese Taylor (notes),
Absent: Michele Mizejewski, Amy Andres, Judy Kammerer, David Owen
- Peggy attended the LAUC Transition Meeting at UC Irvine last week. Peggy is our new chair as of September 1. Anneliese is vice-chair. If a new secretary cannot be identified, Anneliese will continue to take minutes.
- Mitchell Brown (UCI) is the incoming LAUC president. His focus areas are: Moving librarians forward - Next Gen LAUC; How do we do better with less staffing
- The Spring Assembly will take place at UCSC in May
- The Committee on Professional Governance wrote a report on the Librarian of the Future. They want to link it to Position Paper 5.
- There's a short survey put out by the Committe on Diversity to be filled out by LAUC members.
- Quincy McCracy has been hired on as a temporary librarian in the Education Unit. Michele will add him to the LAUC-SF email list and scheduled meetings so that he can participate in LAUC.
- Min-Lin reported that travel expense reports for those going to ALA (Anneliese, Michele, Peggy) have to be submitted by June 30 at the latest. There will be a new expense reporting system as of July 1. Michael has tutorials on how to use it. Members are encouraged to expend remaining funds on professional development before the end of the fiscal year (CE courses, etc).
- The LAUC Assembly blog site now includes a YouTube video of the presentations at the 2011 Assembly.
- The Executive Board will vote on "LAUC Resolution on University of California Budget Cuts", which expresses LAUC's concerns about the budget cuts and the need to protect the libraries and their vital role in supporting the research and teaching missions of the University. Results will be in by July.
- The state-wide elections for Vice-President/President Elect and Secretary are upon us. There are two candidates for each position. The bios were sent as email attachments. Turn in your votes to Anneliese by Friday, June 10 at noon.
- Michele and Peggy reported on the LAUC Assembly 2011. The two primary sessions were Bruce Miller presenting on the movement of Next Generation Technical Service, and SLASIAC's Library Planning Task Force recommendations. See the Assembly blog to see videorecordings of the presentations, and for additional information.
- Anneliese reported that all CAPA committees have met and submitted recommendation letters with the librarian packets to Administration. Anneliese encouraged all members to request to see the CAPA letter if it's not included when they get their packet returned.
- LAUC professional development funding - the group discussed using remaining unspent funds for those needing additional professional development funds this fiscal year. Everyone was asked to report to Min-Lin how much of their allocated LAUC funds they've used to date, and how much funding they anticipate needing for upcoming professional activities.
Updates from LAUC Executive Board conference call:
- LAUC Assembly 2011 agenda now available.
- LAUC LTAG rep Char Booth (UCB) is leaving to go to the Claremont Colleges. Dan Suchy (UCSD) will likely finish out her term.
- Since Lisa is leaving to go to Cornell, Anneliese will take over duties as Secretary beginning with our next meeting in April.
- Anneliese will look into the possibility of scanning packets to speed the process rather then sharing one copy.
- The LAUC Spring Assembly will be held March 10-11 at UC Santa Barbara. LAUC chairs are considering coordinating transportation among divisions (for example, a bus from the Bay Area to transport delegations from northern campuses).
- SLASIAC has convened a Systemwide Library Planning Task Force. Documents and meeting materials are available at http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/planning/taskforce/.
- Next Generation Technical Services (NGTS) – The ULs have reviewed the reports from the 3 task groups, and prioritized their recommendations. The UL’s recommendations, and the group reports, are available at http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/uls/ngts/docs/ngts_phase2.html.
- CAPA update (Anneliese) – Bette Anton from UC Berkeley will be joining CAPA as the external reviewer for 2011 Librarian reviews.
June 8, 2011
Attending: Michele Mizejewski (Chair), Josephine Tan, David Owen, Min-Lin Fang, Anneliese Taylor (notes),
Absent: Amy Andres, Judy Kammerer, Peggy Tahir
April 13, 2011
Attending: Michele Mizejewski, Judy Kammerer, Amy Andres, Josephine Tan, Anneliese Taylor, David Owen, Peggy Tahir, Min-Lin Fang
February 9, 2011
Attending: Michele Mizejewski, Josephine Tan, Anneliese Taylor, David Owen
Absent: Peggy Tahir, Judy Kammerer, Amy Andres, Min-Lin Fang, Lisa Mix
January 12, 2011
Attending: Michele Mizejewski, Min-Lin Fang, Josephine Tan, Anneliese Taylor, David Owen
Absent: Peggy Tahir, Amy, Judy Kammerer, Amy Andres